Chakanaka chakanaka mukaka haurungwi! This is a shona which translates to, milk is perfect as is and so does not need seasoning. This is how I feel about avocados. If you get a perfect avocado, it is good as it is straight from the tree. So i hesitate to cook with avocados.
I have cooked with avocados before but it is not the first thing I think of doing when I get an avocado.
Last week I had a baked avocado toast and it was delicious. I wanted to eat it again! Instead of making toast, I decided to make pizza pinwheels.
I had some pizza dough in the fridge so I let it defrost and come to room temperature. I rolled it out put the ham on top.
Then I added crushed avocado that also has onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper.
Then the cheese.
You could bake the pizza at this point if you wanted to. I wanted pinwheels so I rolled it into like a jelly roll.
Then I cut the jelly roll into 8.
Then I placed the pinwheels on a baking sheet that has some corn/mealie meal.
- 1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast
- 4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 avocados, halved, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices turkey ham
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese grated
- Sprinkle yeast over 1 1/2 cups warm (not lukewarm) water.
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Drizzle in olive oil and mix until combined with flour. Next, pour in yeast/water mixture and mix until just combined.
- Coat a separate mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil, and form the dough into a ball. Toss to coat dough in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you need it.
- Pizza topping
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Remove half the pizza dough from the bowl. Stretch pizza dough into a large rectangle, pressing with fingers to finish forming. Dough will be very thin.
- In a medium bowl, gently mash avocados using a potato masher. Add red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper, to taste, and gently toss to combine.
- Lay turkey ham over the surface of the dough. Spread avocado mash on top of the meat and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Roll into a jelly roll and cut into 8 rolls. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Remove from baking sheet. Serve immediately!