I have wanted to make doughnuts for a while but I do not want to make them when I don’t have other people to share them with. Because I may end up eating them all! By myself!
I have made doughnuts twice before. I made them using a yeast recipe. But I don’t like to knead a lot(by hand) so I used a recipe that uses baking powder and sour milk.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable/canola oil, for deep frying
- Confectioner's sugar for icing
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk the sour milk and sugar, until smooth and combined.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until just combined. If needed, scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- In 2-3 increments, add the flour mixture to this wet mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combined. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Refrigerate it for about 2 hours, or until completely chilled.
- Turn the dough onto a very generously floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the fridge for another hour.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Roll the doll to about 1/2 inch thickness and use a doughnut cutter or any other shape you like.
- Put the rounds back in the refrigerator while you heat the oil.
- Heat about 4 inches oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to about 375°F.
- Fry about 2-3 doughnuts at a time. Fry until golden brown on each side. About 3 minutes.