Until this last weekend I have not had cooked mazhanje before. I am in love. The fruit still comes first though.
Here is how I made the cookies
Mazhanje jam shortbread cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup mazhanje jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl beat butter medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the the granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until well combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with electric mixer and then using a wooden spoon stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using your thumb, press an indentation into the center of each ball. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the jam into each indentation and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling.
- For icing, in a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon water and 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Add enough of the remaining water to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle cookies with icing.