Valentine’s day is such a fun day. A lot of people wear red and there are so many crafts you can make. For some its about spending money but for me I like to find fun things to do. Like bake.
With a small family like I have, making a whole cake is just asking for temptation. I can not eat just the one piece and I feel bad throwing out the rest. So I tweaked my favourite chocolate cake recipe to make two servings. Which is perfect for you and your valentine!
I baked the cake in two 4 inch ramekins, let them cool, level and iced them with some buttercream I had.
I melted some semi sweet chocolate and piped the melted chocolate onto parchment paper. Next time I will trace a pattern for the chocolate wrap, I am terrible at free styling. Oh, measure the cake circumference and height an use that to measure the parchment that you use.
Peel off the parchment paper and top with raspberries or any other berries of your choice. \
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons cup hot water
- 2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 4 inch ramekins or baking pans.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in the hot coffee. Pour into pans.
- Bake 30 -35 minutes or until a tooth pick when inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium bowl, sift together powdered sugar and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy. If necessary, adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.
I did not make the frosting from scratch so I can not tell you how much you would need for a small batch.