Easy homemade tomato soup.
Right now the weather is perfect for soup. I make a large batch of soup at a time to freeze and eat throughout the week for lunch.
I like to have tomato soup with some toasted bread or drink it from a cup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, chopped
- half of a yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, crushed with a spoon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- cream (optional - to add at the end as desired)
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium low heat..
- Add the carrots, onion, bell pepper and garlic to the pan; saute for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour and stir for a minute or so.
- Pour the tomatoes and their juice into a bowl and crush them with your hands. Add the broth, thyme, bay leaf, and tomatoes to the soup pot. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in batches and return to the pot. Add cream if you want.
- Serve hot with some bread.