Its finally getting cooler in Bermuda after what for me has been the hottest summer here. I literally can not wait for it to be “winter”, if you can call it that. Cooler weather for me is just an excuse to make soup, and tea. I love tea especially Rooibos and fruit teas. I came with this idea of combinining two of my favourites Nhopi and Butternut Squash soup. I was suprised that it actually came out better than expected. Leo actually ate it, he is my biggest critic well maybe after my father. Leo is a picky eater, God help me if I have a child like him. Anyway here is the recipe for Butternut Squash and Peanutbutter Soup.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 2 chopped large carrots
- 1 diced potato
- 1 cubed butternut squash
- 1 tsp ginger
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Fresh chives
- Fry onion in butter on medium heat until softened.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and carrots until softened. Season with salt and pepper
- Add potatoes, squash, red pepper flakes and ginger and add chicken stock and bring to boil. Simmer until butternut quash is cooked through.
- Add peanut butter and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Transfer to the blender and blitz. (I wanted mine to be chunkier so I used a potato masher, you could even use musika for this process).Add back to saucepan, return to stovetop
- Add the cream to the soup and garnish with the fresh chives. Serve hot.
Let me know if you like this combo.