I love having porridge with things like chunks of bread and boxed cereal. Up until now I had not thought of adding fruits and nuts to it even though I do it all the time with granola. This takes porridge to a whole new level. It makes you forget about the porridge you had in high school. Porridge was probably the best meal we had at Sandringham, after all it is just water and mealie meal.I made the porridge same way as I usually do. I then added sliced bananas, cranberries, pepitas(shelled pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, almonds and granola. The porridge was nice and crunchy with a subtle tartness from the cranberries. This was my choice but you certainly can try other fruits and nuts that you like.
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup maize meal
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
- 2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup granola
- ¼ cup mixed pepitas and sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup almonds
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan.
- Blend the maize meal with a ¼ cup of water.
- Add the blended maize meal to the simmering water and stir until it starts bubbling.Cover pot and let it bubble for 5 minutes, however if the pot is bigger you will need to add more time.
- Add the salt and peanut butter and stir. Reduce heat and let it bubble for ten minutes.
- Scoop it into a serving bowl. Sweeten with sugar if you like it. Add half the topings to each plate as desired