I have made this Indian style rice a number of times and each time I imagine many things that could happen with this recipe.
You are making dinner for your inlaws and they are watching everything you do. You have decided to make this Indian Style Rice. This recipe requires you to use twice the amount of water for the rice as opposed to the 1:2 rice-water ratio that is usually used. Imagine the looks you will get or the gasps. BECAUSE THIS IS NOT HOW YOU COOK RICE!
You have managed to convince your audience that you do know what you are doing. This recipe requires that you add cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise, all that must be removed before serving. You unfortunately forget to remove these spices and ends up in someone’s plate. This someone was not with you in the kitchen when you were preparing the meal and they have ended up with a stick in their plate that looks like something used for voodoo. YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO!
SPICY! This rice is spicy because of the cumin seed and chilli flakes but incredibly flavourful.
Ok so scene 1 probably happens everywhere but scene 2 is a story I heard a long time ago in Zimbabwe. This woman prepared breakfast for her in-laws. The in-laws saw a teabag and accused the woman of trying to poison them. They had to bring other relatives to discuss the situation only to find out that the accuser had never seen a teabag before! Needless to say, it was embarrassing for the accusers. So I can imagine the same happening with this rice.
I love this rice and have made it several times. Here is the recipe:
- 2 cups rice
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- One 2-inch piece of cinnamon
- 1 star anise pod
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 15 curry leaves(fresh or dry)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Rinse rice until the water runs clear. Soak rice for 30 minutes
- Boil water with salt. Drain rice and add to the boiling water;stir. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise pod and cardamom pods.Boil for 10 minutes or until rice is done to your liking.
- Add oil to a large skillet. Sauté mustard seeds, cumin, chili flakes and curry leaves until mustard seeds start to pop. Add onion and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the rice followed by turmeric.
- Cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Serve warm.