Usually I plan my blog posts, mostly to keep myself organised. The reality though is just most just happen. Like this one. I have been making a lot of bread lately and whatever we do not eat, I freeze to eat later. This past week I got lazy and did not do that. Yeah it does not take a minute to put bread in a freezer but I have my moments of laziness but cover them up really well.
Result, I had stale bread this morning that I could not eat. I tried to cut it and it was all crumbly and dry. I was sad that all work and money(for the ingredients) would go to waste because I had been lazy. The crumbs gave me an idea, breadcrumbs. It was almost an aha moment plus I had all the ingredients to put them together. It actually worked out in the end.
Breadcrumbs are generally inexpensive that I hardly think to make them myself but at the same time so easy that I think I will opt to make them more often.
I put the bread in my blender and pulsed until I was left with crumbs. Then I added my herbs and mixed and that is all you need to do.
An option is to add grated parmesan cheese.
- 6 ounces old, stale bread/rolls/buns/etc. (the approximate equivalent of 4 to 5 slices)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place bread in a blender and pulse until crumbed Add the herbs and salt and mix.
- Use immediately or store in an air-tight container until ready to use.