Last Friday I found out that this blog had been nominated for an award. It was a surprise but grateful that someone thought of me like that. Whenever I write I never know if I will be able to connect with the people reading, I get really nervous. Yet each time I write there are loyal people who read, comment and like my posts. Thank you for your time.
Whenever I think about masawu I think about the song Masawu kugombe. I found it on Youtube
I hardly understand a lot of what the song is about except for the eating masawu part. I don’t remember which came first the song or cupcakes. Remember when I was in Zimbabwe and I made masawu butter. I use it sparingly and still have some so decided to make cupcakes.These cupcakes have me close to thinking that masawu are better than mazhanje, at least when cooked.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons masawu butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature
- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons masawu butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light in colour and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add yogurt and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add egg whites in two batches, mixing until well combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, set aside. Combine the masawu butter and milk in a small measuring cup.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined. Add the masawu butter mixture and mix until well combined. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Beat the butter together until combined and smooth.
- Add about half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the masawu butter, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe swirls of frosting onto the cupcakes using a large open star tip.