I love cooking for my mom more than anyone. Mostly because my mom will never complain about my food. She is my mom, so she is biased. These past few weeks I have been enjoying introducing her to food she does not normally eat.
Teaching her is pointless because she does not have the patience to cook the way I do. My mom’s meals take less than 30 minutes and with very few ingredients. But it is always delicious. So even though I know she likes the Indian food I make, she will never make it herself!
I mad this zucchini rice for her the other day. She liked that it was different not the plain rice she would have made plus its not expensive. What I like is that, this is a great vegetarian one pot meal. Yay! for less dishes! Especially with water rationing happening in Harare right now.
I would have preferred black beans but they are not available here in Zimbabwe. So I boil a lot of sugar beans and use them as needed. Here is the recipe I used
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups sugar beans, boiled
- 2 cups corn, boiled
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar beans, corn, zucchini, butter, lemon juice and cilantro. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately.