If you ask Zimbabweans what they are most proud of, the answers will vary but a lot will agree on these
- The Victoria Falls
- Oliver Mtukudzi
- Mazoe Orange Crush
Like I said last week I prefer the raspberry cordial to the orange one. I have tested other cordials and I do think the one in Zimbabwe is much much better!
The raspberry one was so easy to make, I decided to try with oranges. And I think I nailed it.
As popular as the orange crush is, there are a lot of people who can not drink it because it can leave a tickling sensation and sometimes leads to coughing even with the recommended dilution. There is also the use of preservatives that some people are not comfortable with. This recipe is just oranges, water, and sugar. As I was making this it occurred to me that the taste may not be what I am expecting like what happened with the raspberry cordial. Unlike a big company that has to make sure that the oranges they use will taste the same all the time, at home, you will not have guarantees. Some oranges will be sweeter and tastier compared to others.
I made two cups but you can easily multiply this recipe.
- 1 cup filtered cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Make simple syrup by bringing to boil water and sugar. Add the orange juice and zest.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes and watch that it does not boil over.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. Dilute with water in the ratio 1:4 and enjoy.